Sunday, January 18, 2015

Car Hat


I wanted to make something unique for my nephew, hoping to find something both functional and that he would find fun as a 4 year old boy. I stumbled across this car hat and thought it was perfect.

The pattern is free and can be found on this blog (https://katesaid.wordpress.com) as well as on Ravelry. Honestly, I was not in love with the hat shown on the blogs photographs. Mostly I didn't like the tassel I guess. When I chose colors, I decided to go with a more soothing pallet. I wanted it to be fun but also to look nice.

Materials
Needle: US 5 - 3.75 mm
Yarn: Quince and Co. Lark; colors Delft (blue), Parsley (green), Goldfinch (yellow)and Kumlien's gull (grey)

While looking through other people's finished projects with this pattern, I found some modifications recommended by Ravelry user smithmks. Because I liked how hers looked better than the original pattern, I decided to use her pattern (except for what is in bold, I added 6 rows to the suggested 14 in effort to make the hat bigger):

Cast on 80
10 rows green; back loops only on the 7th row to prevent too much rolling
8 rows gray
2 rows yellow and gray (3 yellow, 2 gray)
8 rows gray
4 rows green
20 rows blue
Begin decrease rows:
K3, K2 together (blue)
Knit 2 rows around
K2, K2 together
Knit 1 row around (blue)
Add and complete with yellow. Knit 1 row around.
K1, K2 together
Knit 2rows around.
Knit 2 together around.
Pull remaining stitches (16) together.

The pattern indicates that this hat should fit children ages 3-7, but even with my modifications to make the hat longer, it was too small for my 3 year old (didn’t cover his ears and kept popping up) and fit my 12 month old perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment