Thursday, January 29, 2015

Knitting Needle Roll

For Christmas, my parents bought me a brand new, beautiful, ever-so-exciting sewing machine. It's as if a whole new world has opened up to me. Prior to this, I sewed everything by hand. I actually take a lot of pride in all the beautiful things I've been able to make with my own two hands, but the problem was how LOOOONG it always took. With two little kids, time is something I do not have. Enter sewing machine.


I had this project in mind for a long time, and when I got a sewing machine, I knew it would be the first thing I'd try. Christmas came and left, and I had a sewing machine, beautiful fabric, and everything else I needed...and yet I did not start. Admittedly I was a little scared. Something about using new machines freak me out. I had not really even used a sewing machine since junior high school home economics class...which was a long time ago. Well a month went by, and finally I had a free afternoon and I sat down with the sewing machine and the included manual, and I figured it out! And you know what, it wasn't so scary! In fact, I think I'm hooked.

Materials:

1 yard of printed fabric (I used FAR, FAR AWAY by Heather Ross, Pattern No. 39657)
1 yard of sturdy, neutral fabric
ribbon


The pattern I found on a blog called Stitch Parade. The instructions were clear and easy to follow and included photographs for each step. This ended up being an excellent first project! I even figured out how to embroidaire a fancy little line of leaves over one of the pockets!




The lines aren't straight and perfect, but I am proud of how it came out. And, it's functional! I made the roll 4 inches wider than the pattern indicates because I have a lot of double pointed and circular needles already and I wanted to be able to store them all in the roll. The only thing I don't like about this pattern is that the pockets for the double pointed needles are too deep. I wish I had had the foresight to realize that and stitch along the bottom to make them shorter. But I have been making do, and it's been really nice to have my needles stored neatly and easily accessible!

2 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic - I love the fabric you used. I'm glad the tutorial was useful and that it gave you some confidence on your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to look at my results :)

      Delete