Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Pumpkin Hats


This fall, I couldn't resist making my littlest boy a pumpkin hat. To my delight, I found a simple and straightforward pattern through Ravelry published in My Simple Life. I especially liked this pattern because it contained options to customize it to my liking and had a clean, simple, and adorable appearance.


To make this hat I used both a circular needle and double pointed needles (size 6). I choice a local yarn brand called Quince & Co. Their yarn is 100% American wool and comes in a variety of thicknesses; I chose Lark. The colors I used were nasturtium (orange) and parsley (green). I am absolutely in love with both the richness of the colors and the comfy/coziness of this yarn.


I ended up making two of these hats for my baby and his best pal, both just under a year old. Because they both are warn in baby-carriers and prone to having their hats fall off, I adjusted the pattern to include two ties. The ties were made by knitting 5 across on one side, and purling 5 on the back side until they were the desired length (about 9 inches). I made the first ties as an afterthought and just stitched them on. With the second hat I made the ties first, then knitted them directly onto the hat by incorporating them onto my cast-on.



I chose to have small ribbing with both hats to make them more pumpkin-like. One hat has a short curly stem and the second has a long curly stem…I can’t decide which I like better.


My mother liked these hats so much that she requested I make one for her. I used basically the same pattern except I used a bulky yarn (Quince & Co. Puffin), larger needles and less stitches. It was fast to make, and is super warm and comfy!
My oldest son modeling the adult hat

These pumpkin hats knit up quickly, and can be easily finished in 2-3 days. I foresee making more of these in my future!


No comments:

Post a Comment