Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Owl Study Mittens


These are my new, luxuriously soft owl study mittens made from baby alpaca wool. I made a pair for my sister and loved them so much that I made a pair for myself too. Fortunately they knit up fairly quickly, in four or five evenings.



This was a free pattern I came across on ravelry published in Alpaca Direct (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-study-gloves). I used:

Yarn- Cascade Yarns, Baby Alpaca Chunky in Charcoal. I managed to make three indivividual mittens with one skein.
Needle- US 10 double pointed needles and a cable needle

 

One thing I found is that there are numerous ways to “Make 1”. With my first pair I did so by picking up an additional stitch between two stitches. This made the mittens have little holes. They still looked nice, but I would have preferred them to be tight and have a cleaner look. So I looked up another way to “Make 1” and by picking up the stitch underneath the next stitch, my hole problems was eliminated. So my second pair came out better than my first (sorry sis!).


I love the subtlety of the owl and the bit of elegance in the ribbing at the top. 


I imagine these mittens will be great for sneaking off to read a well-deserved novel on a crisp fall afternoon under the shade of crimson tree. A mom can dream, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment